Kelsey currently trains under Elite coaches Alex and Katia Shchennikov at The International Gymnastics Academy of the Rockies (TIGAR). In her 20+ hours of training per week Alex and Katia stress, and Kelsey excels at, extensive conditioning, skill acquisition, and polishing her performance in all 4 events.
Since starting competitive gymnastics as a Level 6 in 2010, Kelsey has elevated levels every season, finished top-15 All-Around in the state championships every season and has competed regionally, nationally and internationally.
After her 12th place finish in the All-Around at the Level 6 state championships in 2010, she moved directly to Level 7 where she finished the season in the top-8 in all four events and 7th in the All-Around in 2011.
Her Level 8 season saw her finish 2nd in the All-Around against regional competition at the Pikes Peak Cup in Colorado Springs, 15th in the All-Around against international competition at the WOGA Classic, and culminated with a 7th place finish at the state championships and a qualification to Region 3 Regionals where she finished in the top-25.
She elevated the following season to Level 9 where she again had a top-10 finish at the Pikes Peak Cup, polished her skills enough for a 5th place finish at the state championships and again competed well at Region 3 Championships.
In her first season at Level 10 in 2014 Kelsey improved her All-Around scores an astonishing 3 points over the course of the season and acquired numerous high-end skills. She continued to exhibit a strong competitive edge finishing 10th in the All-Around against international competition at the Presidential Cup in Orlando, Florida and 10th at the Colorado State Championships.
Level 10 Skills Competed in 2014:
- Vault: Yurchenko tuck full
- Bars: Bail from handstand ½ turn; toe handstand–toe shoot, giant—double tuck dismount
- Beam: Back handspring—tuck; switch leap—back tuck; side sommi; round off–double full dismount
- Floor: Double back tuck; switch leap—turchetta; front layout—front layout;back double full
Level 10 New Skills:
- Vault: Yurchenko layout full
- Bars: Bail to handstand; jaeger, front giant, tuck full out dismount
- Beam: Back handspring—layout; front aerial–side sommi; back handspring—tuck full
- Floor: Double pike; front layout—front full; back 2 ½ twist
- Freshman at Pomona High School in Arvada, Colorado.
- Honors 9th Grade English
- Honors Government
- Performing Arts and Humanities Student (PAH)
- Journalism emphasis
- Graduation Year: 2018